Skip to main content

A collection of words from my personal journal (2019)

This post doesn't need a lengthy introduction. I simply want to share some thoughts that I have been able to keep from last year. In whatever way these words may touch you, I hope it serves its purpose.

1. Asking God for direction is more than okay-- it's best. Psalm 143:8 "show me the way I should go for to You I entrust my life."


2. "If you compete with others, you may not win. If you compete with yourself, you always win by becoming better." -Debasish Mridha

3. "Compete with yourself to reflect the 'best-ness' of God. All your accomplishments when done at the best level, can bring glory to Him. They reflect His creativity and excellence."

4. "WALKING BY FAITH often means staying the course when you can't see or feel anything, and to suffer through times of dryness when you have nothing to cling to but the promise of God."- J.D. Greear


5. "Success is not just good luck; it is a constant combination of hard work, good credit standing, opportunity readiness, and timing. Success will not last if you do not take care of it." - Henry Sy Sr.


6. About choosing a career (from Desiring God):
"Young college grads select careers as a form of identity. A career becomes something like a car-- a status marker. This idea that we live in a consumerist age in which your identity is seen in the products you consume. You get your identity from the brands that you use. What has happened is that jobs are like that too. There are people taking jobs that don't fit their talents very well, often the jobs don't necessary fulfill them. But the jobs are high status and people feel like, "I need to be in that job so I can feel good about myself." It's an identity marker. People are very often not choosing jobs on the basis of vocation. They are not saying "What gifts do I have, and how can I be useful to other people through my work?" but "How do I take a job that gives me the same kind of self-worth I get when I am driving a particular kind of car?"

7. "God has given every man physical strength, intellectual abilities, and some degree of wealth and resources, but they are not replacements for our dependence on God."

8. Corinthians 15:10-11 " But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain."


9. On waiting: "Serve God while you wait. Make a difference while you wait. God doesn't waste the wait. Even your efforts to do what's right when no one's looking-- He doesn't waste it as well. Your season of waiting must be a room for you and your relationship with God to grow, and to learn as God prepares you for the 'next thing'. God is preparing you in the waiting."

10. Romans 2:29 " His praise is not from man but from God." Our hope for acceptance, love, affirmation, significance, and satisfaction should be in God.

11. "Never be embarrassed to struggle. There is absolutely no shame in working hard to get where you want to be."


12. Good works alone cannot save you. But to say you are a true believer,  your good works will say a lot about the truth.

13. God's word equips us for every good work. So pursue faithful reading of the word in our normal lives, finding all the unexpected ways to get it done no matter our surroundings and apparent obstacles.

14. "I am not afraid to be successful. To be successful is what I have tried to achieve throughout my lifetime. But now that I know God, what I am afraid of is to be successful in the wrong things."


15. "True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don't need to regularly escape from. And that often takes doing the things you least want to do. It often means looking your failures and disappointments square in the eye and re-strategizing. It is not satiating your immediate desires. It is letting go. It is choosing new. It is disappointing some people. It is making sacrifices for others. It is living a way that other people won't, so maybe you can live in a way that other people can't."

16. "Deep down you know already what you're capable of. There's even moments when you get a glimpse of all the potential you have. You can get there. You just have to be willing to sacrifice the habits, things, and situations that are standing in the way of your success."

17. Remember, you're building the foundation of your dreams. The strength of your character is what you need to get there.


18. Do not take for granted the fleeting moments of life. Everyday is an opportunity given by God to celebrate, appreciate and make the most out of life. Capture every moment, be in the moment, remember its every detail.

19. Habakkuk 3:17-19 Though the fig tree does not bud, and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen, and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights."


20. God when my hearts wants to rush, remind me of how good your plan is. Let my heart rest in the consistency of Your love and the assurance of Your promises. When my heart feels like rushing, give me the courage to wait for your perfect timing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I a toxic person?: How to practice mindfulness

So a couple of weeks back, I asked some of my followers on what topic they'd like me to write about and one of the questions I got was this: "How do I know if I'm a toxic person? How can I avoid being toxic?" I found it interesting because a lot of people don't ever ask themselves that question. Often times we're looking for "how to deal with toxic people" but not so much about "how can I avoid being a toxic person" . So how do you know if you're a toxic person? Well to start off, what do we mean by "toxic person" ? Here's a list of some common signs : 1. They try to control you by guilt tripping . Common phrases most probably used is "Uy sis, favor. Cge na. Friends bitaw ta.", e ven though they know that what they're asking you to do is probably inconvenient or annoying for you. They can't take "no" and instead say things like "I've done so much for you a

Leyte Summer Experience

Finally had the time to finish this blogpost! 🙈 If you're looking for a new destination to visit, you might consider visiting the beautiful province of Leyte . It has so much in store and plenty of hidden gems! What was supposed to be just a solo trip for me, turned out into a family vacation. You see, my brother-in-law is from Leyte and although we've known him for a long time already, we (as a family) never got the chance to visit his hometown. So we decided to turn it into our summer trip ! Hahaha. And please excuse the lack of good photos for this post because I wasn't really planning on making one for this trip. But I was just so amazed with what I experienced that I had to share it with all of you! We boarded the 2GO (Supercat) trip from Cebu to Ormoc. We took the 10:25 am trip and arrived in Ormoc around 1pm. You can find more details here on the fare and schedules:  Supercat Schedules This was our first trip together since my da